Home Energy Audits
Why get an energy audit?
Whether you've got ice dams, drafts, uncomfortable rooms, or out-of-control energy bills, our team of BPI-certified auditors can help you figure out the best solution. We take a "whole house" approach, looking at individual components (insulation, windows, heating system etc.) and how they interact to impact your home's comfort and energy use. The energy audit is all about figuring out the best way to meet your goals.
For most New Yorkers, this valuable service is available at no cost. The energy audit is also the first step toward accessing NY State "Home Performance with Energy Star" grants, rebates and low-interest loans.
Already had an audit by another contractor? No problem! Contact us for an expert second opinion.
Snug Planet offers energy audits for homes in Ithaca and surrounding communities, including Trumansburg, Lansing, Dryden, Groton, Spencer, Aurora, and Cortland. Our comprehensive audit typically takes 3-4 hours.
- We'll start by sitting down and hearing about your goals. What problems would you like to solve?
- We'll do a thorough visual inspection, inside and out, from basement to attic, to understand how your house was built and how it's been modified over the years. We'll look at insulation levels, visible air leaks, and moisture problems.
- We'll test the safety and efficiency of your heating system and water heater.
- We'll perform a blower door test to measure air leakage.
- We'll scan walls and other surfaces with an infrared scanner to check for missing insulation.
- We'll examine your energy bills to determine opportunities for cost savings.
- We'll talk to you about lighting, appliances, and do-it-yourself opportunities.
- We'll help you apply for grants, rebates and loans to make the work more affordable.
- We'll send you a written report with recommendations for accomplishing your goals.